SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I Also Stumbled Across This

Another CNN Post crossed my path today. I found this post interesting b/c I would really like to know what Ashley Smith said to Brian Nichols during those last 30 hours they spent together in GA. Apparently she read from Rick Warrne's _The Purpose Driven Journal_. I received that journal as a gift myself a couple years ago; I flipped through it and decided that it actually wasn't a piece of Christian consumerism/marketing . . . very useful questions & prompts. Here is an excerpt from Warren on Larry King discussing the nature of "sin" and gay/lesbian life styles:

WARREN: Oh, I think the worst sin is pride. In fact, the Bible says it. The Bible says that pride is the worst sin. It is, as the Bible says, it's the sin that got Satan kicked out of heaven. It's the sin that caused Nebuchadnezzar to lose his kingdom, and King Herod and a bunch of others. Pride goes before destruction.

Because pride is basically saying, "I'm in charge." The middle letter of pride is I, and the middle letter of sin is I ...

One of the things ... is we're in a narcissistic culture, that basically says, "It's all about me. I need to do what I want to do. I want to have what I want to have. I want to be what I want to be." It's a very self-centered culture. And that's why I think one of the things about the book that took off, it's kind of a slap in the face, because the first line of the book says, "It's not about you."

Now, I don't know a self-help book in the world that starts with, "It's not about you." But every other book on self-help will basically say, "It's all about you. It's all about your needs, your dreams, your desires."

Ouch. Are we a narcissistic culture???

4 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Yes, until we have kids. Then it really isn't about us anymore.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Oh great One said...

We are definitely a narcissistic culture. Random acts of kindess people! It makes YOU feel good to do something for someone else!

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger sumo said...

Hey...the guy that started the "Random Acts of Kindness" was my college professor...woohoo!

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

prIde?

"I do."

"I have a dream that one day..."

"I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home