SquirrleyMojo:

Bet You Thought I'd Never Write Here

Sunday, March 13, 2005

If You Care

Ehem, just for the record,
I was in no way trying to imply
any disrespect to the wonderful world of blogger-vision
young, yesterday morn.
On the contrary, I believe that cyber spaces
have the capacity to coincide
very nicely with physiological spaces. In fact,
scholars, at least the bright ones,
are currently arguing that both
spaces are indeed intertwined in magnificent ways.
Imagine that.

I once won a million dollars.
For real.
The story? As follows:

A few years ago, my partner's older sister came to live
in our basement. While she finished up school was
the argument. She had/has a much much quieter spirit than I.
Often down on her luck. At times, I felt like quite
the bully. To my chagrin.
One evening, we three sat on the Safari sofa.
We ate McDonalds as rebels, hoping to destroy our
bodies with fat. We didn't care. French-fry after french-fry.
She may have had a fish sandwich. This all occurred
right before McD's finally, for the last time, jumped
the big white one. Enough justifying & on with the
million dollar story:

It was dusk. We were all three a bit down. She sat in the
middle; I to her right. We all stared at a Biggie Fry
carton, yellow and red. Greasy. The back of this carton showed
6 scratch offs: the million dollar game.

"Which one?" She asked. It was her carton. I was annoyed.
Why couldn't she make a simple decision?
I gulped back the impulse of taking the carton from her hand
and scratching the darn thing myself.
My partner shrugged. We had already scratched ours.
"Which one?" She asked again. It didn't matter.
It didn't matter.
I bit my tongue. The choice was obvious: the third one down.
The third one down b/c 3 is a holy number.
Everyone knows that three is a holy number.
If you are trying to follow/search for God at all,
you know that 3 is a holy number.

I said nothing.

I said nothing and was almost proud of myself. I didn't
want to continue this relationship of bullying.
It wasn't healthy. And besides, it didn't matter
which she chose. But I had a lingering doubt: perhaps
I should at least voice my opinion?
There was, naturally, a bit more angst in my mind.

She chose the sixth rectangle. The sixth! Hello?
6 is the unholy number? Still, I said nothing.
She must make her own choices.

She didn't win, of course. And when she tossed down the box,
I retrieved it. I had to scratch off the third rectangle.
Million it said. Million.
I stared in disbelief.
I showed it to the others; there was quite a ruckus.

I stopped in a McD's, the next time I was out, and spoke to a manager.
I just had to know. Had to know if it was for real.
Her jaw dropped: "Uh, yeah. That was it." Everyone on shift froze
and looked at me. I nodded and walked out.
Now, that's some sh*t you just don't forget.

What does it all mean???

2 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I had an answer to your question. Then I read blue2go's answer and now I'm confused and no longer remember what I was going to say.

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It means that you should have spoke up!

That's an amazing story.

Although, would you prefer to not know that you came that close? I might.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home